Traveling is such an exciting thing- the planning, the anticipation, the packing, and then finally arriving to your destination. However, the one part that isn’t the most fun, is the long flight from point A to point B. Melissa recently took a trip to Europe and put together a list of in-flight essentials that made her ride a bit more bearable!
Image by Krista A. Jones
- A chic carry-on bag: Having a chic, easy-to-get-into tote is key! Invest in one that will last for several years. Ensure that it fits all of your essentials (laptop included!) and has a strap that allows you to carry it over your shoulder. Here are a few of our top picks: Madewell, Sole Society, Hobo, Cuyana
- Eye mask + earplugs: For overnight flights, getting at least a few hours of sleep is so important. I swear by this eye mask!
- A good book: Once you get cozy and comfortable on the plane (Yes, it is possible!) then it’s time to open up a new book, be sure to load your Kindle with free wifi before takeoff! —We will be sharing a list of summer reads on Monday!
- Tablet (or smartphone) and headphones: Put one of these in airplane mode, and tune on your favorite playlist. Listening to music is soothing and it will put you in a good zone. Bring your own pair of headphones to listen to music or watch a movie during the flight. We love this pair or these cute ear buds.
- Moisturizer: Flying dries out your skin so be sure to bring a moisturizer for your hands and face and lips and apply it frequently — I prefer to fly with no makeup on and let my skin breathe during a flight that’s over 3 hours which makes hydration easy. It’s also an ideal time to sneak in a face mask!
- A cosmetic pouch with these items: Under eye concealer, mascara, bronzer, facial wipes, tissues, Advil/Tums, Tide pen and chapstick. We love One Truffle‘s travel pouches for carrying liquids because you can stand them up straight and not worry about leaks, plus it’s easy to see everything! Towards the end of a long flight I always put on 2 dabs of under eye concealer, a quick coat of mascara, and a few swipes of bronzer on my cheekbones and forehead.
- Floppy hat + stylish shades: When in doubt, throw on a chic hat and put on the shades! It’s an easy way to look put-together and stylish- even if you are feeling a little worn down.
- A soft and cozy cardigan/scarf: It’s nice to have your favorite cardigan and/or scarf with you for comfort and coziness. Here are a few cute options: Lou & Grey, Madewell, J. Crew Factory
- Snacks: Never feel like you have to eat the food that they serve on the plane! I also always have little snacks on hand like KIND bars and baggies of trail mix, fruit, or pretzels.
- Mints: Having fresh breath (and a good taste in your mouth!) will make a big difference. I love ‘Gingermints’ from Trader Joes. I’m also prone to motion sickness and have found the ginger flavor to help fight it.
What do you have to have in your carry-on bag for a long flight? We would love to know!