A waffle iron was something I forgot to register for when we got married – so until recently I’d never made waffles before! I recently got this Bella Stainless Steel Rotary Waffle Iron to try out and LOVE it — and the price (under $30!). I know when Piper gets older it will be a fun weekend tradition to make and eat waffles together….but until then I’ve been enjoying them on my own and have made this Coconut Waffle recipe twice now. I tweaked this recipe from Bon Appetit. and it would be the perfect dish to serve on Mother’s Day this weekend!
I serve these with a dollop of coconut yogurt (vanilla flavored) and kumquats that I had simmered with a little sugar & water for about 20 minutes.
Dairy Free Coconut Waffles
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut yogurt
- 2/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Non-stick oil spray for waffle iron
- Syrup, butter and yogurt to top
- Whisk flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl while your waffle iron heats up.
- In a medium-sized bowl, use a hand blender to combine eggs, milk, yogurt, vanilla and melted coconut oil. Whisk in sugar.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry, being careful not to overmix.
- Stir in the coconut.
- Spray waffle iron with non-stick spray and spoon in batter. Cook until golden brown.
- Serve with butter, syrup and a dollop of coconut yogurt!
Images by Anna Reynal