I spent two holiday seasons dairy free while breastfeeding so I’ve tried my hand at dairy-free recipes, but now that Flora is also allergic to eggs I’ve been trying full vegan recipes for holiday treats.
After a lot of trial & error I’m excited to share the two recipes that make the BEST sugar cookies. They taste just like my mom’s and you don’t even notice the egg and butter are missing!
For the cookies I use THIS recipe from Minimalist Baker exactly for the most part but I’ve written a few notes below.
- While you can make cut out shapes, I find that the balls (regular round cookies shown) work out better.
- Her method for flattening the balls doesn’t seem to work for me (the dough just gets stuck on the bottom of the glass). So I place a little oil on my fingers and use them to flatten the balls of dough.
- I cook mine for exactly 10 minutes, they come out soft but firm up nicely.
- Make sure your butter is really softened enough before you start!
And for the best part, i.e. the frosting here is the simple recipe that I use!!
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) of Earth Balance Vegan Butter SOFTENED (again softening is key)
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups of powdered sugar (note: if you are using organic powdered sugar I find that it makes the frosting have a yellow tint, I’ve tried several brands with no luck here, so if you’re using food coloring it’s fine but if you are looking for true white I’d go with conventional powdered sugar)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 -3 tbs dairy free milk (we use Oat milk)
- Plant based food coloring (I use Whole Foods brand and they make the prettiest colors but there are also options on Amazon)
- Ensure your butter is very soft (not melted, but soft enough to cream together easily).
- Using a hand or stand mixer cream your butter and slowly add in the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. You will likely need to play with the ratios of milk and sugar to achieve your desired consistency.