I’ve been making these muffins just about every week for a year now. My daughter, Flora has severe food allergies and we’ve been de-sensitizing her to milk so she has to have it in a baked form as much as possible. This recipe was one of the first things we started baking for her and it’s so easy to adapt that I’ve just kept on with it!
Below I’m going to share the original recipe (from this website) that I’ve adapted, and then I’ll share all the different ways I’ve made these muffins. I’ve never made it with egg but I imagine they are delicious!
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 egg beaten (or replacements listed below)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries heaping (or other mix-ins listed below)
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Position rack to middle.
- Use non-stick spray on a muffin tin.
- Combine oats and milk in small bowl. Let stand while preparing other ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and brown sugar. Whisk together. Set aside.
- Add beaten egg, and oil to oat mixture. Mix well.
- Add oat mixture all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Fill muffin liners 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
+ I replace the egg with 1/4-1/2 cup applesauce usually
+ I’ve also replaced the egg with a flax egg (1tbs ground flaxseed + 1 tbs water)
+ I’ve also replaced the egg with 1/2 cup smashed banana
+Some of our favorite mix-ins: blueberries, dried cranberries, freeze dried strawberries, mini chocolate chips, canned pumpkin, diced apple & cinnamon.
+I’ve successfully swapped the flour for whole wheat, I just use 1tbs less
+I’ve NEVER used buttermilk! I always use regular 2% but I think dairy free would work just fine!
+I make them in a mini muffin tin most of the time and bake at 350 for 15 minutes but you could do regular size muffins for 15-22 minutes.