I started making snack cakes last year – I typically only make them a few times a year which makes them more special! There are a few things I love about snack cakes!
- They are so easy to make, I’m convinced anyone can without messing up the recipe!
- They only require one bowl – so they are also easy to clean up!
- There are a million snack cake varieties to have fun with – and I love that we can make them allergy-free for Flora.
- Snack cakes are the perfect size cake – great for after school!
Here’s the Valentine’s Day recipe I used, I adapted this recipe here! It’s vegan, super rich and chocolatey and our whole family loved it. I topped it with canned frosting I had on hand but my vegan buttercream would be even better!
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1-1/3 water, at room-temperature
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp apple cider or distilled vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 and grease a 9inch baking dish.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the Oil, water and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Drizzle the vinegar on top and mix everything together.
- Pour into baking dish and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. *Note, the original recipe called to bake it for 30 minutes, but I found I needed an additional 15! It could have just been my oven so you may want to check after 30 minutes :)