These heart shaped poptarts are the perfect treat to make for Valentine’s Day – both you and your kids will love them….maybe too much like us :) I started making these a few years ago and try to make them once or twice a year. They are easy but involve a few steps. This year Piper really enjoyed helping with all of the steps!
I’ve combined a few recipes to come up with the below…. and like I said it requires a little time but anyone can pull it off!
1 package of pre-made pie crusts
3/4 cup fruit jam of your choice (we love seedless raspberry)
1 tbs of cornstarch mixed with 1tbs of water
1 large egg
- Pre-heat oven to 350 and remove your pie crusts from the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Lightly flour your counter and roll out each pie crust to thin it out. Think: the thicker the heart shapes are, the less you’ll be able to taste the filling. You don’t want them too thin or else they won’t hold up, I just roll the rolling pin over each pie crust a few times and call it a day.
- Whisk the egg and put it in a bowl. Mix the jam and cornstarch mixture in another bowl.
- Use a heart cookie cutter to cut out your pie crust. I get as many as I can out of each pie crust, and then use the scraps for something else – but you could re-roll them and continue making more poptarts, I just find it harder to work with.
- Working in batches of 4 (so the egg doesn’t dry out) brush the base of the poptart entirely with egg wash. Top with roughly 1tbs of the jam mixture. Top with another heart.
- Continue until you’ve finished.
- Using a fork press the edges together to seal.
- Use a toothpick to prick a hole in the middle of each poptart.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool completely and then use a glaze on top if you’d like!!