Mmmmm this may be my favorite fall soup ever. It’s soooooo delicious and easy to make – and the best part is it guilt free (though it doesn’t taste it)!
I use the recipe from Pinch Of Yum – though my slow cooker BROKE yesterday so I made it on the stove top and also made it dairy free for Flora! And trust me when I say you do not even MISS the heavy cream! This would be the perfect treat to come home to on a busy fall day if you do use the slow cooker (just follow the directions on Pinch Of Yum).
Here’s exactly how I made my soup, adapted from Pinch Of Yum:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- half an onion, diced
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- a sprig of fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 package frozen peas and carrots (2–3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup of dairy-free Ripple milk (unsweetened original flavor)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 thawed sheet of puff pastry
1. Over medium heat saute onions until soft. Add chicken breasts, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, potato and chicken broth.
2. Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through (about 15 minutes).
3. Remove the chicken and let it cool slightly until you are able to shred it and then put it back in the soup along with the frozen peas & carrots.
4. Cook for about 10-15 minutes longer until the vegetables are all cooked through.
5. Meanwhile measure milk of your choice (the original recipe calls for heavy cream) and whisk in flour and corn starch.
6. At this time you can prepare your puff pastry toppings – we did stars and baked at 425 for 18 minutes but just follow the directions on the package!
7. Slowly pour the milk mixture into the soup and stir, cook until it’s heated through a few minutes longer.
8. Top with puff pastry shapes and ENJOY!
For more easy weeknight meals try this quick & delicious cauliflower gnocchi!